[PATCH] x86: allow suffix-less sign-extending movsb, movsw, and movsl
Jan Beulich
JBeulich@suse.com
Fri Jul 1 14:55:00 GMT 2016
>>> On 01.07.16 at 16:24, <jonas-devlists@watlock.be> wrote:
> Referring again to the above document, it says about movsb/movsw:
> "movsb is not movsb{wlq}" and "movsw
> is not movsw{lq}" (on p. 37). Those are the only mnemonics that are
> singled out in this way.
Well, the document referenced is a random one; it's way too new
to be a canonical reference.
> So in the end, I guess the movzb/movzw change is fine, but this one is
> not. It's in inherent inconsistency related to the ability of leaving
> away the size suffixes in combination with the chosen mnemonics, it
> seems.
I do not understand what inconsistency you refer to here. The
only inconsistency I can see is that one can't omit the suffixes
from these three instructions, unlike any others with GPR
operands.
Jan
More information about the Binutils
mailing list