linker plugin api limitation

Rafael Espíndola rafael.espindola@gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 13:35:00 GMT 2016


> I think I'd prefer to have get_input_file() return a new status code
> (or maybe LDPS_NO_SYMS). But I don't think that interface is used in
> the LTO plugin, and I can see not wanting to call get_input_file() and
> release_input_file() in cases where the plugin didn't have to call it
> before.

It is used (at least on the llvm side) to get the filesize and name
fields, so yes, having it return  LDPS_NO_SYMS or a new code should
work.

> So I'd be OK with adding either a new status return for get_symbols()
> or a new symbol resolution value to replace LDPR_PREEMPTED_REG for
> this case. Either one will warrant a "V3".
>
> I guess I'd lean towards having get_symbols() just return LDPS_NO_SYMS
> for this case.

Cheers,
Rafael



More information about the Binutils mailing list