Commit: Remove ARM NOREAD section support from GAS

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Thu Feb 4 11:57:00 GMT 2016


Hi Guys,

  I am applying the patch below to remove support for ARM's NOREAD
  section attribute from the assembler.  I am not sure what I was
  thinking when I approved the patch, but it certainly was not about the
  spirit of the FSF and what it is trying to achieve.  Supporting a
  feature which is deliberately about hiding code from the user is
  definitely not something that the FSF wants to promote.

  I am leaving in the code to detect and report this section attribute
  via readelf and objdump, but that is all.

  Thanks to Alan Modra for calling me up on this, and my apologise to
  all FSF supporters for my lack of judgement in originally approving
  the NOREAD patch.

Cheers
  Nick

gas/ChangeLog
2016-02-04  Nick Clifton  <nickc@redhat.com>

	* config/obj-elf.c (obj_elf_change_section): Remove support for
	ARM NOREAD sections.
	* config/tc-arm.c (arm_elf_section_letter): Delete.
	* config/tc-arm.h (md_elf_section_letter): Delete.
	* doc/c-arm.texi (ARM Section Attribute): Delete section.
	* testsuite/gas/arm/section-execute-only.d: Delete.
	* testsuite/gas/arm/section-execute-only.s: Delete.

ld/ChangeLog
2016-02-04  Nick Clifton  <nickc@redhat.com>

	* testsuite/ld-arm/arm-elf.exp: Remove ARM NOREAD section tests.
	* testsuite/ld-arm/thumb1-input-section-flag-match.d: Delete.
	* testsuite/ld-arm/thumb1-input-section-flag-match.s: Delete.
	* testsuite/ld-arm/thumb1-noread-not-present-mixing-two-section.d: Delete.
	* testsuite/ld-arm/thumb1-noread-not-present-mixing-two-section.s: Delete.
	* testsuite/ld-arm/thumb1-noread-present-one-section.d: Delete.
	* testsuite/ld-arm/thumb1-noread-present-one-section.s: Delete.
	* testsuite/ld-arm/thumb1-noread-present-two-section.d: Delete.
	* testsuite/ld-arm/thumb1-noread-present-two-section.s: Delete.

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: noread.revert.patch
Type: text/x-patch
Size: 4047 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/attachments/20160204/93a62d65/attachment.bin>


More information about the Binutils mailing list