[RFC] [MIPS] Enable non-executable PT_GNU_STACK support v2

Maciej W. Rozycki macro@imgtec.com
Thu Dec 22 00:53:00 GMT 2016

Hi,

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016, Aaro Koskinen wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 11:01:18PM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > On 2016-02-05 10:38, Faraz Shahbazker wrote:
> > > Bump!
> > >
> > > Related patches for review:
> > > * binutils: https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2016-01/msg00567.html
> > > * gcc :     https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-02/msg00444.html
> > >

> > It seems that the patches are present in the 2.27 binutils release,
> > while they are not yet ready on the glibc side (I guess still waiting
> > on the IFUNC patches).
> >
> > This means that building binaries with -Wl,-z,noexecstack set the ABI
> > version to 5 and we then have no way to execute them. Some configure
> > scripts probe for the availability of this option and enable it
> > automatically.
>
> Would it be possible to revert (or provide option to disable) these
> changes in binutils 2.28?

 Making PT_GNU_STACK executables stop working with legacy glibc which
does not support the feature required is IIUC the whole point of the
binutils change, so it serves its purpose AFAICT.  I can revert the
change, but before I do it can someone please tell me why can't MIPS
support for PT_GNU_STACK be simply pushed to glibc instead?  And what's
the relevance of the IFUNC feature here (which will now use ABI version
6, the next available one) -- is there a functional dependency between
the glibc side of these two features?

  Maciej