Binutils 2.27 linked statically to libintl
Nick Clifton
nickc@redhat.com
Tue Aug 23 09:21:00 GMT 2016
Hi Eli,
> Digging a little deeper, I see that intl/config.intl says in Binutils
> 2.27:
>
> USE_NLS='yes'
> LIBINTL='d:/usr/lib/libintl.a d:/usr/lib/libiconv.a'
>
> whereas in 2.26 it said this:
>
> USE_NLS='yes'
> LIBINTL='-lintl'
>
> The same 'configure' command was used in both cases.
>
> Can someone tell what am I doing wrong,
Sorry - no. Well not me anyway. As far as I can see nothing has changed
in the configuration of intl library between 2,26 and 2,27. Is the output
from the two runs of the configure script (in the intl/ directory) the same ?
Especially when it runs the "checking for GNU gettext in libintl" tests ?
(It looks like the result of this test decides how LIBINTL is set up).
> and how can I cause the build to use the dynamic link to shared libraries?
Have you tried adding --enable-shared to the configure command line ?
If you are not using the internationalization features you could also add
--disable-nls to the configure command line.
> Is it a bug that I should report to the Binutils Bugzilla?
Well more of a mis-feature than a bug. The programs still work, they are
just a little bit bigger than they used to be. So personally I do not think
that it is a bug, but if it really matters to you then please feel free to
file a bug report.
Cheers
Nick
More information about the Binutils
mailing list