[PATCH] use xstrdup and concat more
Trevor Saunders
tbsaunde@tbsaunde.org
Tue Apr 26 23:52:00 GMT 2016
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 12:26:29AM +0930, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 09:55:50AM -0400, Trevor Saunders wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:31:36PM +0930, Alan Modra wrote:
> > > On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 03:44:56AM -0400, tbsaunde+binutils@tbsaunde.org wrote:
> > > > --- a/gas/config/obj-elf.c
> > > > +++ b/gas/config/obj-elf.c
> > > > @@ -949,9 +949,7 @@ obj_elf_section_name (void)
> > > > return NULL;
> > > > }
> > > >
> > > > - name = (char *) xmalloc (end - input_line_pointer + 1);
> > > > - memcpy (name, input_line_pointer, end - input_line_pointer);
> > > > - name[end - input_line_pointer] = '\0';
> > > > + name = xstrndup (input_line_pointer, end - input_line_pointer);
> > > >
> > > > while (flag_sectname_subst)
> > > > {
> > >
> > > Is this a good idea, here, and in other places where the original uses
> > > memcpy and strlen was not called to find the string length? I'm
> > > thinking that xstrndup will be needlessly calling strlen.
> >
> > I guess that's true, I'm not sure if that really matters though?
>
> Quite possibly not. I wasn't rejecting the patch and didn't see
> anything in the patch that raised a red flag. It was more a case
> of asking you to think about possible performance effects when tidying
> code. Fewer lines of code is not always better.
Of course ;) I think most of it is around section names which I imagine
isn't very hot. What would you like to do here?
Trev
>
> --
> Alan Modra
> Australia Development Lab, IBM
More information about the Binutils
mailing list