[PATCH] gas: Improve documentation for cfi_remember/restore_state
Alan Modra
amodra@gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 04:54:00 GMT 2016
On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 11:21:31AM -0300, Martin Galvan wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 8:16 PM, Alan Modra <amodra@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 11:23:08AM -0300, Martin Galvan wrote:
> > > You mean something like:
> > >
> > > je label
> > > popq %rbx
> > > .cfi_remember_state
> > > .cfi_restore %rbx
> > > popq %rbp
> > > .cfi_restore %rbp
> > > popq %r12
> > > .cfi_restore %r12
> > > ret
> > >
> > > label:
> > > .cfi_restore_state
> > > /* Do something else */
> > >
> > > In that case we're using .cfi_restore_state to save us having to use
> > > multiple CFI directives to recreate the original save locations.
> >
> > Yes, exactly. However the above example shows a gcc bug!
>
> If you're referring to the last example I sent (with the three pops),
> I wrote that manually. So it's a programmer bug, not gcc's :)
Ah, OK.
> > Hmm, seems like current mainline gcc is buggy in this area on x86_64.
> > I see this sort of thing around a tail call:
> > je .L4
> > popq %rbp
> > .cfi_remember_state
> > .cfi_def_cfa 7, 8
> > movl $1, %edi
> > jmp *%rax
> > .L4:
> > .cfi_restore_state
> > So the cfa is set back to rsp on popping rbp, but there ought to be a
> > ".cfi_restore 6". Otherwise when an async interrupt hits after the
> > pop of rbp, the unwinder will load rbp from the stack, which has just
> > been trashed by the interrupt handler..
>
> That's probably true, though. I can look into it a bit more if you
> want. I know next to nothing about gcc internals, but a couple guys at
> the office can give me a hand with it.
I suspect there's no need to look into it yourself. x86_64 doesn't
lack interested and capable developers.
> > It might be better to choose an example from gcc -fomit-frame-pointer
> > -fasynchronous-unwind-tables code.
>
> Could we keep my 3-pop example if I added the required CFA adjustment?
> I'd like to keep the example as simple as possible for the
> documentation.
Yes.
--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM
More information about the Binutils
mailing list