Release 0.26: branching

Tristan Gingold gingold@adacore.com
Mon Nov 9 16:27:00 GMT 2015

Hello,

there was a lot of work on binutils recently (nice!).
Previously, I tried to find a period of calm to create
a release branch, but I wasn’t able to this year.

So, how to process ?  Is it reasonable to ask developers to
be quiet ?  From my experience, it doesn’t work very well
because we all want to push our new features in the next
release, so instead of being quiet developers hurry up.

I could also create a branch from a past point, but all
the bug fixes won’t be in the new release, so there would
be additional backport work.

So, this is just a call for avoiding submitting new
features, just to aim at a new release.

Tristan.