ld for ia64-hp-openvms target

Tristan Gingold gingold@adacore.com
Fri Mar 20 08:38:00 GMT 2015

> On 19 Mar 2015, at 17:54, David SAUVAGE - AdaLabs Ltd <david.sauvage@adalabs.com> wrote:
>
> On 03/18/2015 12:45 PM, Tristan Gingold wrote:
>
>>> I will add on my todo list to add ld support for ia64*-*-*vms*   on latest binutils, any main hidden issues concerning this ?
>> AFAIK, no.  The ia64-openvms port of GNU ld was only for cross.  Do not expect command line compatibility with VMS link.
>>
> What would be the major issues using GNU ld in an ia64-hp-openvms native context ?

I don't see any good reasons for that work, except for the purpose of having a native free linker on openvms.  So the real question is: what's the aim ?

> A layer on top of GNU ld could manage the command line compatibility.

There is more than command line compatibility: feature compatibility.  OpenVMS object files have many features that don't exit on unix/linux.  GNU ld 'works' as a cross linker because object files created by gcc are very simple (in term of features).

Tristan.