RFC: Import zlib from GCC tree

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Sat Mar 14 07:18:00 GMT 2015


On 13 Mar 2015 09:32, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 6:14 AM, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> >> >> Sorry I didn't realize that we only put zlib in gcc tree, not in
> >> >> binutils+gdb tree.
> >> >> Will copy it over from gcc tree work?
> >> >
> >> > I think it would. But distro vendors might want to have an option
> >> > to be able to build with the system zlib.
> >>
> >> That is why --with-system-zlib is here.
> >
> > At first sight, and at the technical level, this seem to provide
> > the tools needed to support builds with zlib.
> 
> I am working on SHF_COMPRESSED support:
> 
> http://www.sco.com/developers/gabi/latest/ch4.sheader.html
> 
> I'd like to import zlib from GCC source tree.  Any objections?

makes sense to me as long --with-system-zlib and --{with,without}-zlib continue 
to work fine.  i.e. a follow up change to make zlib required for bfd/gdb/etc... 
would not be desirable imo.
-mike
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 819 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
URL: <https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/attachments/20150314/ae153ae8/attachment.sig>


More information about the Binutils mailing list