[PATCH] ld: Add '--defined' command line option.

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 15:59:00 GMT 2015


Hi Andrew,

> In this revised version of the patch:
>
>   - Option has been renamed to --require-defined=SYMBOL.
>
>   - Added a NEWS entry.
>
>   - The docs for '--undefined' now reference '--require-defined'.
>
>   - I've added a few more tests, which I hope will be extensive enough
>     for now.

Thanks for making these changes.  Unfortunately the new tests fail for 
some targets:

   tic30-unknown-aout
   ns32k-netbsd
   pdp11-dec-aout
   powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0
   rs6000-aix4.3.3
   i586-aout
   arm-aout

These targets all complain about the ".section .text.1" directive.  If 
you replace it with just ".text" the problem should go away.



> +If this option is being used to force additional modules to be pulled
> +into the link, and if it is an error for the symbol to remain
> +undefined, then the option @samp{--require-defined} can be used instead.

Personally I would word this as

   ...then the option @option{--require-defined} should be used instead.

Note the use of @option{} and replacement of 'can' with 'should'.

Cheers
   Nick




More information about the Binutils mailing list