linker and debug section question
Steve Ellcey
sellcey@imgtec.com
Thu Jan 22 21:24:00 GMT 2015
I noticed a change in the linker behaviour between binutils 2.24 and
top-of-tree and was wondering if it was intentional or accidental.
I noticed that some test programs I was compiling with the latest GCC
and binutils were much larger then before and after some digging I found
the difference was that executables compiled with -O2 or -O3 (no -g) and
linked with a top-of-tree ld had these sections:
[29] .debug_aranges MIPS_DWARF 00000000 000918 0000a8 00 0 0 8
[30] .debug_info MIPS_DWARF 00000000 0009c0 0002e2 00 0 0 1
[31] .debug_abbrev MIPS_DWARF 00000000 000ca2 000172 00 0 0 1
[32] .debug_line MIPS_DWARF 00000000 000e14 00020a 00 0 0 1
[33] .debug_frame MIPS_DWARF 00000000 001020 000050 00 0 0 4
[34] .debug_str MIPS_DWARF 00000000 001070 000243 01 MS 0 0 1
[35] .debug_loc MIPS_DWARF 00000000 0012b3 0000bb 00 0 0 1
[36] .debug_ranges MIPS_DWARF 00000000 001370 000040 00 0 0 8
But a program compiled with the latest GCC and linked with the 2.24 ld
only has:
[28] .debug_frame MIPS_DWARF 00000000 00089c 000050 00 0 0 4
This is making some executables (like coremark) 3 times larger than
they were with the 2.24 ld. I know I can strip out the debug information
but I was wondering why the behaviour changed.
Steve Ellcey
sellcey@imgtec.com
More information about the Binutils
mailing list