Is it normal that ld promote a section size

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 12:52:00 GMT 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 09:47:26AM +0800, Terry Guo wrote:
> 0x800 by gas. I checked SUB_SEGMENT_ALIGN as you suggested, but
> couldn't find more detailed information to help me understand this
> issue. Do you know the background why gas has to promote the size to
> its alignment? Thanks.

What binutils target are you using?

As far as I known, SUB_SEGMENT_ALIGN was needed for compatibility with
older assemblers (AOUT and COFF), and also on ia64 to ensure that code
sections are a multiple of the bundle size.  There may be other
targets that have similar code section restrictions.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM