Contributing FreeBSD/aarch64 support

Andrew Pinski pinskia@gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 04:13:00 GMT 2015

On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 7:57 PM, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:
> I would like to contribute FreeBSD/aarch64 support for binutils. The
> work is straightforward, and consists largely of adding new case
> statements and Makefile adjustments.  Several different people are
> responsible for parts of this change.
>
> The patch as it stands now can be seen in a commit in my repository on
> github[1]; the diffstat summary is:
>
>  bfd/config.bfd                |    5 +++++
>  bfd/configure                 |    2 +-
>  gas/config/tc-aarch64.c       |    3 ---
>  gas/configure                 |    2 +-
>  ld/Makefile.am                |   10 ++++++++++
>  ld/Makefile.in                |   12 ++++++++++++
>  ld/configure                  |    2 +-
>  ld/configure.tgt              |    2 ++
>  ld/emulparams/aarch64fbsd.sh  |   37 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  ld/emulparams/aarch64fbsdb.sh |    2 ++
>
> The substantial change is the addition of aarch64fbsd.sh; it is almost
> entirely a copy of an existing emulparams file.  I've seen reference
> to small changes being acceptable without copyright assignment
> paperwork, and would like to know whether it's feasible to accept this
> change under those terms.

Modifying configure directly is not a good idea.  Also if you need
-Wno-uninitialized, it might make sense to figure out better patches
for those places where unitialized warnings happen.
And having -Wno-unused-function seems wrong no matter what.  It might
mean you need some extra #if/#endif around some code which not used
for freebsd.

Thanks,
Andrew