Problem with building PDF documentation

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Tue Dec 15 10:08:00 GMT 2015


Hi Freddie,

>> Would it be
>> possible for you to run the texi2dvi command locally with either--debug
>> or --verbose added to the command line to see if this helps pinpoint
>> exacltly what is wrong ?
>
> It is definitely possible and I'm more than happy to help. But could you help
> me with that a bit? What arguments should I use for that and do I have to run
> some other commands before texi2dvi? I'm not an expert in these matters... );

Nor am I. :-)

So, in theory what you should do is rerun the "make info" command (or 
whatever command you are using that triggers the failure).  Once the 
failure has happened change into the gas/doc directory and run the 
texinfo command directly, with the extra options added.  Based on the 
binutils.log file you sent this command would be:


TEXINPUTS="/home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/../texinfo:$TEXINPUTS" 
\
MAKEINFO='makeinfo \
   --split-size=5000000 \
   --split-size=5000000 \
   -I "/home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/doc" \
   -I 
"/home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/../libiberty" \
   -I 
"/home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/../bfd/doc" \
   -I ../../bfd/doc \
   -I /home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/doc' \
texi2dvi \
   -I "/home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/doc" \
   -I 
"/home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/../libiberty" \
   -I 
"/home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/../bfd/doc" \
   -I ../../bfd/doc \
   --pdf \
   --batch \
   --debug \
   --verbose \
   -o as.pdf \
 
/home/freddie/bleeding-edge-toolchain/src/binutils-gdb/gas/doc/as.texinfo


> This won't work - as I wrote in my e-mail, with the current version of the
> tools the documentation for the exact same revision that I used 3 months ago
> doesn't build too.

Sorry - I thought that you meant that the documentation as of Sep 28 
would build using your current tools - my mistake.

Cheers
   Nick




More information about the Binutils mailing list