vulnerabilities in libbfd (CVE-2014-beats-me)

Nicholas Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Thu Oct 30 11:01:00 GMT 2014

Hi Maciej, Hi Michal,

>> $ wget http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/strings-bfd-badptr2

FYI, this test case has now been fixed.

>> In any case: the bottom line is that if you are used to running
>> strings on random files, or depend on any libbfd-based tools for
>> forensic purposes, you should probably change your habits. For strings
>> specifically, invoking it with the -a parameter seems to inhibit the
>> use of libbfd. Distro vendors may want to consider making the -a mode
>> default, too.

There are also alternatives to the GNU Binutils strings program.
eu-strings for example, or even "od -S 4".

It is true however that there are still vulnerabilities in libbfd, and I
for one would happy to see new bug reports exposing them.  I can assure
you that any such bug report reaching me will be treated seriously, and
will be investigated and fixed as soon as possible.