git is live

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Thu Nov 14 16:55:00 GMT 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
>>
>> But for decentralized systems such as git, I think vendor branches
>> could be just as easily hosted elsewhere.  With git, it's really easy
>> for anyone to host it somewhere, and publish its location. It's also
>> equally easy for anyone interested in the work to add that location
>> a remote, and fetch from it.
>
> Obviously, this discussion only has sense if the branch is hosted by
> sourceware.  Otherwise, what could we do to prevent J. R. Hacker from
> publishing a branch from her own machine?

Nothing.  But I don't see why that matters.

I'm mildly in favor of permitting vendor branches on gcc.gnu.org for a
different reason: it encourages vendors with GCC extensions to make
those extensions readily available to everybody.  If we require
vendors to handle their own hosting, we will inevitably have some who
simply decide not to bother.

Ian