[patch, mips, stabs] Fix stabs failures in GCC testsuite

Maciej W. Rozycki macro@codesourcery.com
Tue May 7 12:52:00 GMT 2013

On Sat, 4 May 2013, Richard Sandiford wrote:

> >> because I think all this is really papering over the problem of forgetting
> >> the label state across a section switch.  This happens implicitly for
> >> these .stab directives (that are also seldom used these days), but I
> >> reckon I saw a case where it mattered for explicit section switches and
> >> had to be worked around somehow.  It would be good to have some thought as
> >> to how to do this properly some day.
> >
> >  However after some further thinking I believe a good less-effort solution
> > for GCC might be to produce a .insn directive after any label considered a
> > code entry point, where GAS supports the pseudo-op.  This would avoid
> > surprises in case something else turned out to clear the instruction mode
> > again.  What do you think?
>
> I think that's going in the wrong direction.  If we find a specific
> "real-world" case that isn't being handled correctly, we should fix
> it in GAS, so that it works with both compiler and hand-written code.

 Maybe you're right after all.

 The problem with section switches dropping the labels is a bit painful
though -- I have now recalled the case where .insn had to be used to adapt
previously working code for microMIPS assembly and work this limitation
around was the Linux kernel.

  Maciej