Global symbol prefixes

Jan Tlatlik jtlatlik@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Mar 28 16:34:00 GMT 2013

Hey there,

I need a few directions:

I'm porting GAS to my architecture and I'm stuck with global symbol
prefixes.
Since my register operands are not prefixed (e.g. r23 instead of  %r23),
I need to prefix global symbols to avoid name collisions.
How do I tell GAS to recognize this prefix?

If I try to assemble

    .global %main
%main:
    [...]

I am getting errors like
> example.s:1: Error: expected symbol name
> example.s:2: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character
is `%'

The symbol names in the object file though must not have the prefix. It
is only needed at assembly time to solve the name collision problem.

I looked through a few existing ports, but none of them seem to do it
this way. Could anyone give me some advice how to do that?

Regards,
Jan Tlatlik