binutils 2.20 gone missing?

nick clifton nickc@redhat.com
Fri Jan 18 09:27:00 GMT 2013

Hi Seb,

> I'm trying to reproduce a toolchain from source to the point of being
> able to produce binary identical output from an tag of our sources.
> The toolchain used to use 2.20, so that's what I was going for. I
> wanted to know why 2.20 had been removed. I.e. was it an accident or
> was there some serious flaw with it and it was recalled. In that
> latter case I need to think about whether we really DO want to produce
> binary identical output or rather get the benefit of not having the
> flaw. (whatever that might be).

To be honest with you, I do not know why it was pulled from the FSF's
website.  Space considerations maybe ?  2.20,1 is a bug-fix-only
improvement on the 2.20 sources, so if the FSF servers are running out
of room, it would make sense to only include the latest version of each
major release.

Since you are able to find the 2.20 release elsewhere I would suggest
that you stick with that.  At least until you encounter problems which
might be fixed by a later release.