[Mips}Using DT tags for handling local ifuncs
Jack Carter
Jack.Carter@imgtec.com
Tue Dec 10 00:26:00 GMT 2013
Yes gdb needs to change a little, but that is not really the issue. The gdb change is relatively small.
The question is why do it if benefits in reality no one as I suspect will be the case?
Where is the bang for the buck?
That said, I am assuming I will have to do it and will make it work, but I don't see why really.
Jack
________________________________________
From: Maciej W. Rozycki [macro@codesourcery.com]
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2013 3:41 PM
To: Richard Sandiford
Cc: Jack Carter; binutils@sourceware.org; Doug Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Mips}Using DT tags for handling local ifuncs
On Sat, 7 Dec 2013, Richard Sandiford wrote:
> > This is not to say that it cannot be done, but is it worth the bang
> > for the buck? How many debuggers, simulators, object dumpers am I
> > going to mess up making a change that few will benefit from?
>
> Debuggers shouldn't care. At least I don't think GDB does.
GDB has explicit ifunc support for making manual calls to such functions,
see stuff around elf_gnu_ifunc_fns in gdb/elfread.c; I'm not sure offhand
whether it needs to know details discussed here though, I suggest
double-checking.
Maciej
More information about the Binutils
mailing list