Problems with the --gc-sections flags for ld

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Thu Aug 29 19:54:00 GMT 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Steven Stewart-Gallus
<sstewartgallus00@mylangara.bc.ca> wrote:

> I am having troubles using the --gc-sections flag with ld. It causes a
> bug in the compiler I use (see
> https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/8647 .) It makes sense that it
> would cause the Rust compiler to bug out because the Rust compiler is
> still in 0.8. I would still like to diagnose, and fix the problem
> though. Does anyone have any ideas on how Rust could miscommunicate
> with ld, and cause it to strip out the metadata that Rust attaches to
> a library?

I know very little about Rust, but my guess would be that ld
--gc-sections is discarding the Rust metadata information because it
is not referenced.

It may help to pass --print-gc-sections to ld to see which sections it
is discarding.

Ian