A Proposal to Move to Git
asmwarrior
asmwarrior@gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 16:21:00 GMT 2013
On 2013-8-27 18:00, Steinar Bang wrote:
>>>>>> NightStrike <nightstrike@gmail.com>:
>
>> ... Git users can easily use git-svn, which means you can satisfy
>> mostly everyone, and still be using current, well maintained software.
>
> git-svn is broken on the Win32 platform. It can get you a git checkout
> with the full history. The problems start when you wish to push your
> changes back into subversion. Then you have to either do a merge or a
> rebase against the branch tracking the remote subversion repository, and
> you end up getting a conflict in all files you have changes in.
>
> When I tried it, the conflicts with merge, were the entire files (which
> is pretty useless. With rebase and with merge using the
> ignore-space-change option, the conflicts were just my changed lines,
> but with CRLF/LF issues.
>
> Ie. I got a conflict on all of my changes whether they were a conflict
> or not.
>
> I tried switching off core.autocrlf in git and I tried convincing
> git-svn that the svn checkout shouldn't do CRLF/LF translation, but I
> had no luck with that.
>
> My experiments were in msysgit 1.8.3-preview20130601.
>
> (For the record: if someone have a procedure that can make this a
> non-issue I would be happy to be proved wrong)
>
I'm using the same msysgit and TortoiseGit, I can use git-svn without such conflict issue.
I can successfully commit changes to Codeblocks' SVN repo
http://sourceforge.net/projects/codeblocks/ by git-svn.
My setting of local git is: auto crlf is true, safe crlf is false.
Yuanhui Zhang
More information about the Binutils
mailing list