Setting GNU OSABI on ARM

nick clifton nickc@redhat.com
Tue Apr 30 13:07:00 GMT 2013

Hi Will,

> I was wondering if someone could help me figure out why all
> architectures except ARM seem to set GNU OSABI when GNU indirect
> function symbols are present?
>
> The below patch sets GNU OSABI on ARM and lets us run the generic
> ifunc tests (that run on i386, x86_64, sparc and powerpc). Is there
> some historical reason why this is a bad idea?

I do not know of any historical reason for this.  I suspect that it was
just an accident of the development of ifunc support.

There may be a practical issue however, in that changing the EI_OSABI
field may break OSes that expect it to be set to ELOSABI_ARM  So whilst
technically I have no objections to the patch I think that it would be
wise to provide a configure time option to restore the original behavior.