RFC: Generating per-function DWARF line number sections

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 02:15:00 GMT 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 04:15:36PM +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
>   Note - this is not a full solution to the problem of deleting
>   redundant debug information when a section of code is discarded, but
>   it is a step along the way.  Still to come are fragmentary .debug_info
>   sections and grouped sections of code and debug information.
>
>   So - does anyone have any comments or questions ?

Is it worth supporting the old style of grouping by name?  Why not
just support ELF section groups?  Using names leads to eg. your
_bfd_elf_gc_mark_extra_sections change which is quadratic in number of
sections..

Also, why do this in gas?  It seems to me that this sort of change
belongs in gcc.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM