Force production of ELF hash table

John Cronin jncronin@tysos.org
Sun Apr 21 13:28:00 GMT 2013

Hello,

I am using ld to link an OS kernel.  The kernel produced is a statically
linked executable file but supports dynamic modules.  I would like to
use the hash table functionality of ELF files to quickly look up symbols
within the statically linked kernel file for dynamically loading the
modules however cannot work out how to ask ld to add the hash table to
non-shared outputs.  Is it possible?  I see from
http://elinux.org/images/1/18/C_AMOROSO_Fast_lkm_loader_ELC-E_2009.pdf
that the embedded linux guys have had to write their own tool (ksymhash)
to modify the vmlinux image after linking but I was wondering whether
there was a way to ask ld to do it for me.  I am using the x86_64-elf
target.

Regards,
John.