Where to put a new binutils app
H.J. Lu
hjl.tools@gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 02:24:00 GMT 2012
On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Cary Coutant <ccoutant@google.com> wrote:
> Ian and binutils maintainers,
>
> I'm writing a new tool to combine .dwo files (Fission split debug) --
> basically a link step for debug info. It's in C++ and uses elfcpp plus
> a few things from libgold.a (e.g., stringpool and dwarf_reader). My
> first thought was that it should go in src/binutils, since it's
> basically a new utility, but (a) I'm not sure whether C++ would be
> accepted there, and (b) I think that would create a circular
> dependency between the binutils and gold directories (the gold
> testsuite requires binutils to have been built). Should I just put it
> in the gold directory (we already have incremental-dump there), or
> somewhere new? Or should I refactor the useful stuff I want to borrow
> from gold into another top-level directory?
If it depends on gold, I think it should be in gold directory.
Can you create a utility directory under gold?
--
H.J.
More information about the Binutils
mailing list