macro's and arguments

Erik Christiansen dvalin@internode.on.net
Tue Oct 16 14:38:00 GMT 2012

On 16.10.12 09:45, Jan Beulich wrote:
> But no, this is nothing that needs fixing - macro arguments are
> separated by commas or blank space (unless parenthesized) -
> see the documentation of .macro. It arguably is a possible
> enhancement to allow for a mode where only commas separate
> them (I have been missing this at times, too).

Yes, an opt-in additional mode would protect existing code in the wild.
Having long used "blank space" parameter separation, to allow gas to
compile small languages, I'm more than a little partial to the existing
default behaviour.

Some example statements, handled by gas macros are:

   start_timer A 70 mS

   if p1 is 0

   if it isnt Standby     ; Following a test macro.

   if event includes <some_bitmask_parameter>

Perhaps though, there are other syntaxes where lots of commas are nice.

Erik

--
One man's constant is another man's variable.
                                                - A.J. Perlis