dwarf debug information emission for assembly source files

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Tue Nov 6 14:16:00 GMT 2012

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 3:28 AM, Ramana <ramana.venkat83@gmail.com> wrote:

> From the discussion
> http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2012-03/msg00286.html, I understand
> that the gas is not capable of emitting dwarf debug information,
> except the debug line information, for the assembly source files which
> doesn't provide any debug information explicitly (no debug directives,
> section definitions etc).
>
> Are there any existing ELF ports which have this feature implemented?
> If not, what it takes/involves to implement that?

I'm not aware of any assemblers that offer such a feature.  What kind
of debug info do you have in mind?  The assembler doesn't know the
types of values, so what debug info could it generate without any
help?

Ian