RFC: Displaying multibyte symbol names in readelf

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Wed May 30 18:10:00 GMT 2012

nick> I have changed my patch so that it does not try to do
nick> anything clever.  It just uses printf() to display the symbol names,
nick> and it does not try to do anything special with locale's.  Printf
nick> should handle multibyte characters all on its own, provided that the
nick> user has their environment set up correctly.  The patch does not try
nick> to set up any special environments of its own.

I think this has the same issue, though, because printf is just going to
assume the current locale's encoding.

I think that if symbols are UTF-8 encoded then the correct approach is
to use iconv to convert them to the locale's encoding.

Tom