RFC: Displaying multibyte symbol names in readelf

nick clifton nickc@redhat.com
Mon May 28 14:30:00 GMT 2012

Hi Guys,

   I have checked in a revised patch that includes a new test case and
extends GAS so that it is possible to generate symbol names containing
multibyte characters.  I have tested lots of different toolchains,
without seeing any regressions, so I think that this should be
sufficient for now.

gas/ChangeLog
2012-05-28  Nick Clifton  <nickc@redhat.com>

	* read.c (read_symbol_name): New function.  Reads a symbol names.
	Allows escape codes in names.
	(s_comm_internal): Use read_symbol_name.
	(s_globl, s_lsym, s_set, s_weakref): Likewise.
	* doc/as.texinfo: Document support for multibyte characters in
	symbol names.

gas/testsuite/ChangeLog
2012-05-28  Nick Clifton  <nickc@redhat.com>

	* gas/elf/syms.s: New test - checks the generation of multibyte
	symbol names.
	* gas/elf/syms.d: New file - expected readelf output.
	* gas/elf/elf.exp: Add syms.

binutils/ChangeLog
2012-05-28  Nick Clifton  <nickc@redhat.com>

	* readelf.c (print_symbol): Display multibyte characters in symbol
	names.
	(process_section_headers): Use print_symbol.

ld/testsuite/ChangeLog
2012-05-28  Nick Clifton  <nickc@redhat.com>

	* ld-ifunc/ifunc-13a-i386.s: Fix use of .global directive.
	* ld-ifunc/ifunc-15a-i385.s: Likewise.