Disable some optimisations when --traditional-format

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Sun May 27 11:13:00 GMT 2012

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 12:01:09PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Alan Modra <amodra@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > How do you all feel about disabling string merging when ld is given
> > --traditional-format?  I think it's a reasonable addition to the
> > option's effect, currently it disables .stab and .eh_frame
> > optimisation.
>
> Unlike .stab and .eh_frame optimization, string merging is part of the
> ELF ABI.

Yes, that's exactly why I didn't go ahead and commit the change.  I'd
also forgotten that we have an option to turn off string merge in gcc,
so there really is no need to have ld do the same.

(Ick, how did I write "display" in the subject when I meant "disable"?)

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM