RFC: Displaying multibyte symbol names in readelf

nick clifton nickc@redhat.com
Fri May 25 08:28:00 GMT 2012

Hi Hans-Peter,

> Test-cases,

Indeed a good point.  It turns out that writing a test case is a lot
harder than writing the code to display the multibyte characters.  Not
least because currently we have no way of generating multibyte symbol
names.  (I developed the patch using a binary given to me under NDA by a
customer, so I cannot use that binary in the testsuite).  I am currently
working on a way to generate multibyte symbol names and then using this
to create a testcase.

> that it works for some common locale (possibly need
> the testing framework to check that it exists, else flag as
> UNTESTED)

Hmm, yes.  This is getting tricky...

> and as before for the "C" locale?

This much I did test, and the are no regressions from the patch.