cross building binutils?

Anonymous christel-von-der-post@eurovibes.org
Tue May 15 18:21:00 GMT 2012

> On Fri, 11 May 2012, Anonymous wrote:
> > Can somebody please point me to the official instructions for cross building
> > binutils? Thank you.
>
> Here is one instance.  It's long and complicated, not.
>
> start here
>
>  /path/to/toplevel/configure --target=<gnu-tuple>
>  make all
>  make install
>
> where <gnu-tuple> is for example mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu
> (standard GNU/Linux for MIPS).
>
> To wit, the difference to native build, is just the --target
> option to configure.

Thanks to everyone who has answered. I understand I must specify
--target. Do I need to have all the directories containing header files and
libraries I'll build against present during the build of binutils, or only
when I want to assemble and link against them? That is, does binutils need
to know about paths to things when it's built or can that be done
afterwards. And is it possible and advisable to build for multiple targets
or should it be built once for each target. Thank you.