[gold patch] GDB index 1/2: Add new DWARF declarations

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Fri Mar 9 22:03:00 GMT 2012

Cary Coutant <ccoutant@google.com> writes:

>> Actually you might want to consider putting these on the binutils 2.22
>> branch also, since it looks like they will be needed to get good error
>> messages from gold when using -gdwarf-4.
>
> By themselves, these changes won't do anything to improve gold's
> handling of DWARF-4 -- all they do is add declarations. The changes in
> reduced_debug_output.cc are just to squash a warning from the compiler
> about missing cases in the switch,

Yes, I was thining of the reduced_debug_output.cc changes, but I guess
you're right, since that code only reads .debug_line it shouldn't
matter.

> I'll submit a follow-on patch to fix the handling of
> DW_LNE_define_file, unless you know of a reason why it should remain
> as is (a bug in the compiler?). As far as I can tell, it works simply
> because we never see this opcode.

Yes, please go ahead and change it.  I think it's just broken.  I don't
know why anybody anywhere would ever emit DW_LNE_define_file, but I
guess we should handle it correctly.

Ian