gold linker 2.22 regressed for DragonFly [revised testsuite results]

John Marino binutils@marino.st
Fri Jan 6 10:24:00 GMT 2012


On 1/5/2012 7:31 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>> 2. ver_matching_test.sh:  __bss_start not local, rtld issue? real issue? (failed on v2.21 too)
>
> Hard to understand why this would fail.  The __bss_start symbol is
> defined automatically by the linker itself.

ok.  I thought I remembered seeing references to __bss_start in rtld 
code, so I suspected rtld was the culprit.

>> 3. exception_static_test: likely real problem.  gdb log attached
>
> My first guess would be that DragonFly does not support dl_iterate_phdr,
> or that it does not work correctly for statically linked executables.
> That's just a guess, though.

I brought in dl_iterate_phdr support to dragonfly (system compiler is 
4.4.7 snapshot, 2011-10-25), and it appears to be working although maybe 
in the case of statically linked executables it's not.  What handles the 
latter?  Is that an rtld thing?

>> 4. intpri2:               likely real problem.  gdb log attached
>
> This is almost certainly the same issue as the --no-ctors-in-init-array
> issue: DragonFly does not suppor DT_INIT_ARRAY.

If I wanted to add DT_INIT_ARRAY support to DragonFly, what component 
needs to be updated?  again rtld?

>> 5. relro_test:            no relro support in rtld, ignore
>> 6. relro_now_test:        no relro support in rtld, ignore
>> 7. relro_strip_test:      no relro support in rtld, ignore
>
> Yeah, if the dynamic linker does not handle relro, then these tests are
> expected to fail.
>
> Ian

As far as I can tell, no BSD supports relro and it seems to be of 
limited value so I don't suspect this will change any time soon.

Regards,
John




More information about the Binutils mailing list