Does objcopy --add-section .rsrc work for pei-i386?

Vladimir Simonov sv@sw.ru
Sat Feb 4 15:18:00 GMT 2012

On 02/04/2012 08:31 AM, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 05:18:03PM +0300, Vladimir Simonov wrote:
>> Should objcopy work in such mode?
>
> No.  Resizing executables or shared libraries difficult.

Alan, thank you for replay.

Can somebody understanding PE format and its status(state, goals) in
binutils better than Alan and me answer the following questions?

May it be that replace .rsrc section will be easier then its addition?
I mean the case when I create a.dll with English resources and will
replace them with other language resources if necessary.
Probably it is better to implement it in windres, not in objcopy.

 From the first glance on PE dumps it looks not too difficult.
We need just replace one .rsrc section with another one,
shift .reloc section appropriately(change VirtAddr),
recalculate file checksum(if necessary).

Am I missing something which is difficult?

Sorry in advance if my questions are stupid - I'm not PE format guru:)

Regards
Vladimir Simonov