binutils test result mysteries

Dennis Clarke dclarke@blastwave.org
Sun Dec 2 01:17:00 GMT 2012

> On 2012-12-02 01:06, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> > This is a little long, but I think it is readable. The problem is
> simple, how to get a GNU
> > toolchain built that can be trusted. Started with, as a working
> idea, one of the most
> > trusted Linux distros in the world :
> > Now comes the disturbing part. The testsuite[1] has a pile of
> "FAILs" in there. However little
> > indication why and no where to easily turn to find out "why".
>
> My guess is you need to run the following:
>
>    sudo yum install glibc-static
>
> Does that help? :)

hrmmm .. no such thing as glibc-static but I see what you are thinking.

Let me try 'yum install binutils-devel.x86_64' :

[root@sedna local]# yum install binutils-devel.x86_64
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, rhnplugin
Setting up Install Process
Package binutils-devel-2.20.51.0.2-5.34.el6.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do

Nope. no help there.

This still doesn't answer, or even address, the "big picture" questions which cast
doubt on the whole binutils package.  I worry that the rabbit hole is very deep
and no one has been down there in a while.

dc