RFC: Add STB_GNU_SECONDARY

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Sat Apr 21 00:54:00 GMT 2012

"H.J. Lu" <hjl.tools@gmail.com> writes:

> In our usage, the backup definition may not be at the end of
> command line since it may reference library symbols.

You could write out the backup function you need under a different name.
Then have the backup symbol at the end of the link call the new name of
the backup function.

I agree that this kind of approach is less convenient, but this doesn't
seem like a persuasive choice for one of the two remaining OS-dependent
symbol binding numbers.  Perhaps you should try to sell this idea to the
ELF ABI, the generic space has seven available numbers.

Ian