ld unpredictable lookup failure building shared library
James K. Lowden
jklowden@schemamania.org
Sat Apr 21 00:47:00 GMT 2012
I'm attempting to build clang on x86_64. ld fails to look up a symbol
from std::string, recommending -fPIC, but file(1) reports the object
file is relocatable. Upgrading to 1.22 has no effect. Am I missing an
option, or have I found a bug? It's not a common a problem,
but I'm not the only one to see it.
$ /usr/pkg/bin/gnu-ld --version | grep ^GNU
GNU ld (GNU Binutils)2.22
$ /usr/pkg/bin/gnu-ld @linker.options
/usr/pkg/bin/gnu-ld: /usr/pkgsrc/wip/clang/work/llvm/Release/lib/libLLVMCodeGen.a
(ShrinkWrapping.o):
relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against undefined symbol
`_ZNSs4_Rep10_M_disposeERKSaIcE'
can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/pkg/bin/gnu-ld: final link failed: Bad value
The "linker.options" file is attached.
Both the reported file and the GNU library that houses that symbol are
relocatable:
$ find ../../ -name ShrinkWrapping.o | xargs file
../../lib/CodeGen/Release/ShrinkWrapping.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable,
x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped
The symbol is not defined in clang. It's part of standard string
(wrapped for your viewing pleasure)
$ c++filt _ZNSs4_Rep10_M_disposeERKSaIcE
std::basic_string<char,
std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::
_M_dispose(std::allocator<char> const&)
nm(1) reports it's defined as a "weak symbol that has not been
specifically tagged as a weak object symbol" (that's what the "W"
means):
$ find /usr/lib -name \*.a | xargs nm -o \
| grep _ZNSs4_Rep10_M_disposeERKSaIcE \
| grep -v i386
/usr/lib/libstdc++_p.a:string-inst.po:0000000000000000
W _ZNSs4_Rep10_M_disposeERKSaIcE
/usr/lib/libstdc++.a:string-inst.o:0000000000000000
W _ZNSs4_Rep10_M_disposeERKSaIcE
/usr/lib/libstdc++_pic.a:string-inst.so:0000000000000000
W _ZNSs4_Rep10_M_disposeERKSaIcE
That object file, string-inst.o, is relocatable:
$ ar x /usr/lib/libstdc++.a string-inst.o && file string-inst.o
string-inst.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV),
not stripped
$ nm string-inst.o | grep _ZNSs4_Rep10_M_disposeERKSaIcE
0000000000000000 W _ZNSs4_Rep10_M_disposeERKSaIcE
I don't really understand weak symbols, but I'm prepared to believe
this symbol, because it's based on a template, isn't really in the
library. But if not, the compiler should have generated it, and it's
not defined among the .o files. At least, nm never gives it a "T".
It doesn't always happen. The other clang file that uses that symbol,
GCOVProfiling.o, is successfully incorporated into a library,
libLLVMInstrumentation.a:
$ find ../.. -name \*.a
| while read F; do \
ar t $F | grep GCOVProfiling $F && echo $F; \
done
ar: ../../test/Archive/MacOSX.a: Malformed archive
Binary file ../../Release/lib/libLLVMInstrumentation.a matches
../../Release/lib/libLLVMInstrumentation.a
$ ar t ../../Release/lib/libLLVMInstrumentation.a
AddressSanitizer.o
EdgeProfiling.o
FunctionBlackList.o
GCOVProfiling.o
Instrumentation.o
OptimalEdgeProfiling.o
PathProfiling.o
ProfilingUtils.o
ThreadSanitizer.o
Thanks for any help. I'm happy to try suggestions.
--jkl
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: linker.options
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 1019 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/attachments/20120421/e05ab24a/attachment.obj>
More information about the Binutils
mailing list