The "-W|--wide" option?

Carlos O'Donell carlos_odonell@mentor.com
Mon Sep 19 21:04:00 GMT 2011

Nick,

During some internal patch review the question of
output width came up and in particular what behaviour
binutils was trying to follow.

Must all binutils tool output be wrapped to 80 chars
unless -W|--wode is specified?

If we wrap, as opposed to truncating, then how does
one wrap something that is a single block larger
than 80 characters?

Do we care to indicate that the wrapping has occurred?

I notice that:
* objdump says it will truncate symbol names without -W.
* readelf says it will break lines (wrap).

Is the current behaviour a historical matter, and changing
it would not be acceptable because it might break consumers
of this output?

Comments and guidance appreciated.

Cheers,
Carlos.