Dealing with multiple gas versions

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 08:16:00 GMT 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 01:13:28AM -0400, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2011, Alan Modra wrote:
> >  .ifndef __GAS_VERSION__
>
> Before you carve that in stone, would it make sense to add a dot
> in there to avoid any plausible clash with C macro/symbols?
> Like __GAS.VERSION__ or something.

I think we should be reasonably safe, and if we put a dot in the
symbol name it just becomes another oddity you need to remember.

> N.B. tc-cris.c:md_begin (BTW yes, I guess local symbols are
> better).

Hmm.  There is one problem in that local symbols get an error if you
try to redefine them.  I reckon it would make sense to treat locals
like symbols defined with .equ, ie. give them an implicit
S_IS_VOLATILE.  Jan, do you remember why you chose to make local
symbols error on redefining?

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM