[MIPS] Add saa and saad instructions for octeon

David Daney ddaney@caviumnetworks.com
Tue Nov 15 17:43:00 GMT 2011

On 11/15/2011 09:12 AM, Richard Sandiford wrote:
> Richard Sandiford<rdsandiford@googlemail.com>  writes:
>> Andrew Pinski<andrew.pinski@caviumnetworks.com>  writes:
>>> Hi,
>>>    This patch adds the saa and saad instructions for Octeon.   They are
>>> not part of the original Octeon but are part of the Octeon+.  We at
>>> Cavium don't feel the need to add a new arch for it since this is the
>>> only difference instruction wise and the original Octeon is no longer
>>> in production.
>>
>> I think it's still worth having a separate CPU name for it.
>
> and (to be clear) CPU enum, so that the instructions can be rejected
> for plain -march=octeon.

I guess that makes sense.

I don't think we want a separate E_MIPS_MACH_OCTEON?? tag in the ELF
flags EF_MIPS_MACH field for this though.  The Cavium SDK toolchains
simply supply E_MIPS_MACH_OCTEON for all Octeon+ objects, and I would
like to keep it this way.

And just for the record, Octeon+ CPUs are still in production in several
different SOCs.

David Daney