ld error message %C format
Ian Lance Taylor
iant@google.com
Wed May 18 23:59:00 GMT 2011
Alan Modra <amodra@gmail.com> writes:
> How do people feel about extending typical linker error messages like
> the following
> tmpdir/dump0.o: In function `foo':
> ./compressed1.c:13: undefined reference to `bar'
> to always include the section and offset information?
> tmpdir/dump0.o: In function `foo':
> ./compressed1.c:13:(.text+0x8): undefined reference to `bar'
>
> When debugging toolchain problems, the section and offset is often
> more useful than the source information. I've checked that this
> change doesn't seem to break emacs parsing of error messages.
While I'm generally not happy about adding options, I think this is a
case where we should consider it. That is, consider an option
requesting more verbose information from linker errors. I think that
for ordinary users of the linker, i.e., 99.9% of linker users, the
section+offset will be far more confusing than helpful.
Ian
More information about the Binutils
mailing list