git <author> settings from logs

Quentin Neill quentin.neill.gnu@gmail.com
Fri May 13 21:04:00 GMT 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Matt Rice <ratmice@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Hans-Peter Nilsson <hp@bitrange.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 May 2011, Quentin Neill wrote:
>>> I'm using git with
>>> remote.origin.url=http://sources.redhat.com/git/binutils.git and I
>>> notice my commits in the log do not have an email address in the
>>> <author> value.
>>>
>>> Is that a gitcvs thing, a setting on sourceware.org, or a local git setting?
>>
>> AFAIK, a local git setting.
>> See e.g. <http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/UsingGit#developer-setup>.
>>
>> brgds, H-P
>> PS. more-or-less a git newbie too, so don't ask me anything, STFW instead.
>>

> depends on which commits you speak of,
> if it is a local commit it is a local configuration issue like H-P says,
>
> if it is a commit that you pulled from sourceware.org which was
> converted from the cvs server you lack an entry in the authors.txt
> file which is mentioned here:
> http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/UsingGit#importing-from-cvs
>
> lacking said entry it then just defaults to <username>
> i'm not sure where this file resides, presumably somewhere on sourceware.org

Thanks for the insights.

I don't think it's a local git setting:
  qneill@qneill-linux:~/wk/bu/src$ git config --list | grep user
  user.name=Quentin Neill
  user.email=quentin.neill@amd.com

In fact I probably muddied the waters by mentioning GIT at all.  For
binutils final checkins, I use raw CVS still:
   cvs update
   patch <some_patch
   # test
   cvs commit

So this must be a sourceware.org setting.

Adding overseers@sourceware.org; can someone on that list shed some
light on this?

Do I need an entry in an authors.txt file somewhere?
--
Quentin