[Bug ld/12565] NOLOAD sections empty

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Fri Jul 1 13:14:00 GMT 2011

Hi Doug,

> The ARM linux kernel also uses NOLOAD.

Do you know if this entirely for .bss style sections, or maybe for
establishing a region of memory mapped hardware or I/O ports ?

The point I am interested in is if we changed the current behaviour of
NOLOAD so that it *did* preserve the contents of any input sections (if
those contents were non-zero) would this break anything ?  I am pretty
certain that it would, so I am not going to create a patch to make this
change.  But I do wonder if there any applications out there that are
relying upon NOLOAD to actually get rid of the contents of input sections.