binutils > 2.21.51.0.2 fails to build glibc

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Wed Jan 12 06:22:00 GMT 2011


"H.J. Lu" <hjl.tools@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
>> "H.J. Lu" <hjl.tools@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Not exactly, it segfault at build-time.  If you want to use the latest
>>> binutils to BUILD your glibc, I think it is OK to require you to patch
>>> your glibc. I can provide a patch for glibc 2.12.
>>
>> That doesn't really sound OK to me....
>>
>
> Glibc developers seem to have no problems.

Well, no, of course they wouldn't.  The issue here is not glibc
developers.  It's other people who have to build glibc.

It's quite likely that I misunderstand.  It sounds like you are saying
that it's OK for GNU ld to segfault when building an older version of
glibc.  The linker isn't like the compiler, where we tighten
restrictions on the input language.  The linker should accept old object
files.  And of course it should never segfault.  But if I misunderstand,
then I apologize for raising the issue.

Ian



More information about the Binutils mailing list