extract debuginfo for Xorg backtraces

Elmar Stellnberger estellnb@gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 11:46:00 GMT 2011

  I have written a small program using libbfd which should extract
symbolic information out of an Xorg backtrace as dumped in Xorg.log.
It works well for everything in /usr/bin/Xorg. However as the
backtrace meets a shared library (libc.so, radeon_drv.so,
evdev_drv.so) the symtab does not contain any section that would
include the given addresses/+offsets.
  Is there any relocation offset or anything else which I will have to
subtract from the memory addresses given in the backtrace? The symbols
from the .so-s seem to be loaded correctly so far (If I skip the check
for the end of a section it will always find a (random) symbol so that
the actual symbolic information is located before to where the dumped
addresses point to.).

Many Thanks for Your Reply,
Elmar Stellnberger