Patch: DWARF browser

Tristan Gingold gingold@adacore.com
Wed Apr 27 07:13:00 GMT 2011


On Apr 26, 2011, at 10:09 PM, Tom Tromey wrote:

> I have been wanting a nicer way to browse DWARF, so I came up with the
> appended.  It is an Emacs mode for DWARF browsing, plus a couple of new
> supporting readelf features.
> 
> The simplest way to browse is just M-x dwarf-browse, then enter a file
> name.  This will show a high-level view of the debug info (just the CU
> DIEs).  If you want to see more details, you can click or RET on the
> `...' fields, and the mode will expand more DIEs.
> 
> The mode has a bit of font-lock support and it also has support for
> following DIE references (pushing the mark while doing so).
> 
> I needed 2 readelf features to make this work nicely.  One, a way to
> elide DIEs at a certain depth.  Two, a way to then print sibling DIEs
> starting with a certain DIE.
> 
> I don't know if you'd want the .el code in binutils or not.  It is no
> problem if not, I will just put it in ELPA.  I'll probably add features
> to it as I need them.
> 
> It would be handy if the readelf changes could go in regardless of what
> happens to the lisp code.
> 
> Let me know what you think.

Comment from a non-elf dwarf user:

* thank you for working on that.

* You'd better to base on objdump instead of readelf.  objdump provides the same functionalities as readelf (for the dwarf part), but it support more file formats.

Tristan.



More information about the Binutils mailing list