[RFC/WIP] Add plugin infrastructure to ld.
Ian Lance Taylor
iant@google.com
Thu Sep 9 21:46:00 GMT 2010
Dave Korn <dave.korn.cygwin@gmail.com> writes:
> This, of course, is the easy bit. The more complex part is what I'd like to
> ask if anyone else has been thinking about or has any advice or suggestions:
> how to make LD play correctly with the plugin API. I'm not even certain that
> their modes of operation are going to be commensurate enough to make them fit,
> so I wrote this framework as a testbed to try and prove the concept.
As far as I know the plugin framework should work OK with GNU ld. It
was certainly designed with that in mind.
> For instance, it seems to me that LD has many locations that open input
> files, all of which error out if they fail to find their file, and all of
> which would need patching to call the 'claim files' hook and leave the file
> alone but still not error out if the file got claimed.
I'm not sure why you say there are many places that open input files.
As far as I know they are all opened by ldfile_try_open_bfd. Note that
linker scripts are not relevant to the plugin.
> I'm even less certain
> if LD's way of dealing with archives and archive members is commensurate
> enough with GOLD's to be compatible.
There is really only one way to handle archives and archive members, so
it should be pretty much the same.
Ian
More information about the Binutils
mailing list